Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Brokenhearted

I would have to say that I move a lot. I've moved 11 times since I've been married and that will be five years this coming May. It hasn't been the easiest road but I got used to living with very little and quickly packing things up as we went. Some moves were easier than others because they were close by. Others were to different states and eventually across the country. I was never sad about moving and always faced it with adventure (even if it meant living out of a box most of the time). Until now.

Moving to Center City Philadelphia was one of the best things that Kevin and I have ever done for ourselves. Yes, our parents told us not to move here. Yes, we were crazy. Yes, we never thought we would live here. Two kids from Utah who really hadn't spent much time in Philadelphia before moving there, made the plunge.

But that was just it. The city of Brotherly Love wasn't judgmental of our past, in fact we found that it embraced it. Philadelphia is not any ordinary city, if you can make it here, you can pretty much make it anywhere. No one judged us by our past, they only wanted to see if we could make it now.

Thank goodness, we did more than just make it. Philadelphia is where we rebuilt our relationship, redefined our marriage, lived with very little, got by on nothing but love, kindness, forgiveness and sweet moments. No, it hasn't always been easy. There have been numerous breakdowns on my part, but I have never felt more loved and respected than I have here. Plus, there was Kevin's long commute, two hours driving or an hour on the train. Both long and taxing.

There's also something about being able to walk outside of our apartment and to be right there in middle of everything. I thrive off of the city, being able to take evening walks, always headed in a new direction. When the weather was warmer, it was nice to walk past so many historical sites and to find different murals on the walls of old buildings.

Philadelphia is where we decided we were going to be an official family, making room for a little one.

It breaks my heart to have to move out of the city. Not to mention, the building we live in. It's convenient and we've made our small, unfurnished apartment ours.

It's funny how we get attached to things, isn't it?

In all the moves I've made, this is the first I've been able to really call home. I'm so heartbroken that I have to leave it.

This is where we grew to become a family. Philadelphia healed our hearts and brought us back together forever. 

xoxo

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you are moving someplace you call home!!! I will keep you in my thoughts as you two make your next move and find another place to call home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you have been able to find a place to renew and invigorate yourself and your marriage. Know that now going forward you can make home anywhere you two are together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, I can imagine it would be so hard to leave a place that you can call home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, now I see why you're there. Brought a tear to my eye as I recognized the Hand of God in your message. We (the parents) have focused too much on money and not on both of you healing and growing. For that, I can now see it was worth it! It's wonderful to see the wise and loving person you've become - that will stay with you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, now I see why you're there. Brought a tear to my eye as I recognized the Hand of God in your message. We (the parents) have focused too much on money and not on both of you healing and growing. For that, I can now see it was worth it! It's wonderful to see the wise and loving person you've become - that will stay with you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, now I see why you're there. Brought a tear to my eye as I recognized the Hand of God in your message. We (the parents) have focused too much on money and not on both of you healing and growing. For that, I can now see it was worth it! It's wonderful to see the wise and loving person you've become - that will stay with you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so beautifully written. God works anywhere and usually in the most unusual places and ways. So glad that your marriage has bee restored. Congrats on the new adventure that awaits you in parenthood. I hope that wherever you move to, you are able to once again call home.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...